What is “Doctor of the Day”?
The purpose of the “Doctor of the Day” service is to provide same-day appointments for urgent and semi-urgent problems when you are unable to get a timely appointment with your family doctor. Our “Doctor of the Day” service is meant to replace our Walk In Clinic service. Wait times for the Walk In Clinic approached 3 hours on a regular basis, and we recognize that this is not ideal for patients. “Doctor of the Day” is an appointment-based service; thus, it should minimize your wait in our waiting room.
How does it work?
When you book a “Doctor of the Day” appointment, you will see a Wellington Medical Clinic physician. Appointments are booked throughout the day until closing. You can book an appointment over the phone or in person. Appointments are booked same day only, except Saturday. The chart below specifies how and when you can book a Doctor of the Day appointment for each day of the week:
|Monday||Same day only||Same day only|
|Tuesday||Same day only||Same day only|
|Wednesday||Same day only||Same day only|
|Thursday||Same day only||Same day only|
|Friday||Same day only||Same day only|
|Saturday||Fri PM/Sat 9AM||Fri PM/Sat 9AM|
|Sunday||No appointments available||No appointments available|
Who can access this service?
This service is available only to Wellington Medical Clinic patients.
A “Wellington Medical Clinic patient” is a patient who has established a formal doctor-patient relationship with one of our physicians. Both must apply:
(1) you identify one of our physicians as your regular family doctor, and
(2) that physician has previously agreed to accept responsibility for your care.
- You will only be able to discuss one issue when you see the doctor even if your own family doctor is ‘Doctor of the day’.
- Please be considerate of other patients. If you have multiple issues, it is best to book an appointment with your regular family doctor. “Doctor of the Day” is designed to address your one, most urgent issue that cannot wait until you can get an appointment with your own doctor.
- Monday-Friday are booked same day only starting at 9am, please dial the extension for your family doctor’s receptionist to book a doctor of the day appointment.
- Saturday appointments are be booked on Friday afternoon or same day.
- The following will not be booked in Doctor of the Day, and require an appointment with your family doctor:
Examples: Driver’s Physicals, Insurance Paperwork, Pre-Operative
No Complete Physicals or Health Checks
No Sleeping Pills, Pain Medications or Anxiety Medications
Any controlled prescription medication like those listed above will not be renewed by the Doctor of the Day. These must only be refilled by your family doctor or their locum.
Rude, belligerent or threatening behaviour will not be tolerated. If it occurs, it may result in your discharge from our clinic.
Thank you for your understanding & cooperation.